One of our family traditions is to give service as a family during the Christmas season. Giving service helps to remind us of the real reason for Christmas and helps all of us have more gratitude for the things we have. Serving others as a family also brings our family closer together.
Serving as a family can happen in many ways and every member of the family can be involved. It can be small and simple, or a big project as long as it is heart felt, it is always welcome and blessed the giver and the receiver.
5 Simple Ways To Give Service As A Family:
- Bake cookies to give to neighbors – Baking cookies as a family is a fun way to spend time together! I is so much fun to snitch bites of the dough and giggle when you get caught. The kids love to decorate the cookies and of course we have to sample to finished product. But the best part is bring them to our neighbors!
- Be a Secret Santa – Our kids love to be secret Santas for their friends. They pick someone each year and do little things anonymously for them all month. The gifts are anything from a compliment or smile in the hallways at school, to special notes and gifts left in their locker or on their doorstep.The thrill of not being found out makes it more fun and it helps my kids to think about other people. It is fun to hear about the things they gave and how the other person responded!
- Buy toys or other gifts for kids in need – We love to pick names from the Giving Trees at our church or in the stores. It is fun to pick names of kids who are close to my kids in age so that they can really help pick out something they will like. It is really nice to see my kids get excited about buying gifts for other people.
- Spend time at a nursing home – Nursing homes can be lonely places this time of year for people who don’t have family living close. My family likes to go to the nursing home and sing Christmas Carols or play games or just talk with the people there.
- Adopt a family in need – We are doing this this year and I love it. We go a little smaller on our own Christmas meaning that our kids only get 3 gifts and only one big gift. That frees up money to spend on gifts and other needs a family in need might have.Our church always has suggestions of people in need and it can be anonymous or we can deliver in person. Doing this not only helps us all feel more grateful for what we have but it helps us to stop focusing on our own wants and needs and focus on the needs of someone else.
This is not something we have been able to do every year and sometimes like this year we team up with other families so that the family we adopt is able to get all of their needs met.
These are only a few ideas of ways to give service as a family. There are many more things that you can do. During this busy time of year with the bustle of Christmas concerts, Christmas parties and of course Christmas shopping, taking the time to give service to others helps to refocus our family on the Christmas spirit and grow closer together.