This is my family’s favorite cooking hack to make a hot, “real” breakfast in under 3 minutes easily with almost no clean up and no microwave. It’s perfect for college students or busy families like mine!
I have a confession. I don’t cook breakfast. I will cook lunch and dinner, but I hate cooking breakfast! Mornings in our house are either hectic with everyone trying to get out the door or everyone is waking up and leaving at different times. On the busy days, there isn’t time to bother with a real breakfast and on school days, breakfast would get cold by the time everyone was ready to eat.
I also hate the mess. The last thing I want first thing in the morning is a sink full of dirty pans and bowls. So my family eats cereal. We like cereal, but it just isn’t the same as a hot breakfast. With this cooking hack, my whole family can have a hot breakfast every morning, and there is no mess left when it’s done.
What is the secret cooking hack? My waffle maker! Waffle makers are something most people have in their homes but very few people use them to their full potential! Waffle makers can make much more than just waffles! Using a waffle maker is the perfect way to make a great hot breakfast quickly and easily.
Cooking Hack: Simple, Hot Breakfast in a Waffle Maker:
- Grease the waffle maker well (I prefer butter) and preheat it.
- Put hash browns in one square
- Add sausage in another square
- For fried eggs, crack an egg into one square. (If you want scrambled eggs, whisk the eggs in a bowl and then pour into the square.)
- To make the meal complete pour waffle batter into the final square.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until done.
- Just add a glass of milk and fresh fruit to make a complete meal.
- For a protein packed breakfast try this Protein Pancake Mix. (This is a favorite for my hubby and sons)
- To make this even easier, I keep a container of prepared waffle batter in the refrigerator so all we have to do is scoop and cook.
- This is also great for omelets. Just whisk together eggs, and other ingredients and pour into the waffle maker.
No, this is not gourmet, but it is fast and easy and perfect for busy mornings. My kids love it and they love that they get to choose what to add to their breakfast. If they want 2 eggs, they can. If they want extra waffles, that is fine too. The consistency of the eggs is different than traditional fried eggs, but my family loves them.
Don’t get caught thinking you only have time for cereal in the morning. With this cooking hack and a waffle maker you can have a full breakfast in under 2 minutes!
*Frugal Mom of 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.