With my big family of teenagers my kids are often asking me for fun and creative date ideas. They want alternatives to the traditional dinner and a movie date that everyone seems to do. They are looking for dates that are fun where they can talk and get to know their date. These date ideas also need to be inexpensive.
Inexpensive dates are more fun because you have to be creative. I encourage my kids to do things that are out of the box. My son wants his dates to have fun and he doesn’t want to do the same things everyone else is doing. As a boy he worries that his dates might not like the simple creative dates I suggest. Luckily for him, he has 5 sisters to also approve these creative date ideas.
I decided to make a list for them of frugal, fun and creative date ideas that they can refer to when they are trying to decide what to do on a date. These are all approved by all of my teens. Since I was making a list I thought I would share it with you too. These dates are all focused on getting to know the other person. Some are group dates and some work better with just two.
15 Frugal, Fun, & Creative Date Ideas:
- Have a picnic in the park – This is hands down my daughter’s favorite creative date idea.
- Have a Nerf War – This works best with a group of people. This works well in a park or another large area. Think paintball with nerf guns. Extra bonus points for dressing in camo and painting your faces.
- Make dinner together – This is always a big hit! Choosing something easy to make like homemade pizza is best to make sure everything goes smoothly.
- Watch a terrible movie – Seriously so much fun! The movies vary by tastes but the fun of watching a terrible movie is that you are supposed to talk during the movie!
- Go bowling – Bowling is a fun, laid back activity that most people like. There are plenty of chances to talk while you bowl.
- Play “Where’s Waldo”– This is a fun group date. You go to a crowded area and one couple tries to blend in and hide in plain site. The other couples try to spot them. Extra bonus points for coming in character or dressing the same as couples.
- Go for a long walk– A long walk in a pretty area is a great way to really get to know the other person. It’s simple and less formal.
- Go rock climbing – I’m thinking of a climbing wall in a gymn like the YMCA. It’s a fun, active date and there are a lot of chances to work together.
- Play mini golf – Mini golf is a fun activity that is fun to do with a date.
- Do a service project together – Whether you are bringing cookies to a sick neighbor, or painting benches at a school, doing service makes you feel good, and doing service together makes you feel closer to the other person.
- Play volley ball – Volleyball is a fun activity that can be played in a lot of areas. To make it more light hearted try playing with beach balls or balls that glow in the dark.
- Dinner at a lake or beach – This is great for a couple or a big group. A bon fire is really if permitted in your area. You can eat your dinner and then roast marshmallows .
- Walk the dogs at the humane society – It combines, time to get to know your date, service, and puppies, how can you go wrong? Call your shelter before so I know their rules.
- Scavenger hunt – This is a fun group date. You make up a list of hard to find items that can be found in your area and the first group to find them all wins. It is fun to go to the houses of the different people asking for random items like an empty toilet paper roll. To make this extra fun, you can give each couple a recipe and they have to go to the different houses to find the ingredients and them meet at the last house to cook the meal.
- Go for a bike ride – This is another fun date that is less formal. It’s best to do it in a scenic area like Boise’s Greenbelt.
Whether you are a teenager like my kids or an adult, these fun, creative date ideas are a nice change from the same old dinner and a movie date. Do you have other suggestions? I would love to expand my list!