I want to share with you one of my family’s favorite natural remedies for coughs and sore throats: Honey Tea. It is a wonderful, natural and delicious drink that soothes sore throats, eases coughs, and taste like warm lemonade in the best possible way!
I first tried this when I was in the hospital with my youngest son. I was in pre-term labor and they were trying to stop the labor but I got a cough. They couldn’t give my any cough medicine because of the other medicines I was on but they were afraid my coughing would make my contractions worse. So they gave me a spoon full of honey. I thought this seemed like a funny thing for a nurse to give me but it soothed my throat and eased my cough. After I had my son (he was fantastically and miraculously healthy but that is for another time) I got a bad sore throat and a friend recommended that I make a tea with water, cinnamon, and honey. That was really nice and soothing but I love lemon and I know that lemon juice can help coughs and colds so I tried adding lemon juice and the result was amazing! It is warm and soothing to my throat and it taste like warm lemonade. It really eases my cough, and it is all natural. Now anytime anyone in my family has a cough or sore throat we make Honey Tea. My family sometimes drinks it in the winter just because it is so delicious. I love that this is completely natural and all of the ingredients are good for you. And as a Frugal Mom I also love that all the ingredients are things I always have in my pantry.
Honey Tea for Coughs and Sore Throats
- Fill a mug 3/4 with water.
- Add 1 tsp of Cinnamon to the cup
- Microwave 1 minute or until the water starts to boil.
- Let the mug rest and cool until water is sipping temperature.
- When the water has cooled enough to sip, add 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Next add 1 Tbsp Honey (I strongly prefer local pure raw honey for it’s health benefits)
- Use the honey spoon to stir the “tea”.
- The resulting “tea” taste like warm lemonade and is very soothing to sore throats and coughs.
Cold and flu season is here, I would love to hear if this helps you and your family.