I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows now available in beautifully illustrated children’s picture book.
I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows, the story about a boy who can sleep through any storm has been a favorite with teachers, parents and religious leaders for generations. Now, for the first time, it is available in a picture book that kids and parents will love.
I am so happy with this book! I worked with an incredibly talented illustrator who brought this special story to life with her engaging pictures. I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows is now a beautifully illustrated retelling of the classic story of Jim, a 17 year old boy who applies to work on a farm. His only qualification is that he can sleep when the wind blows. The farmer doesn’t understand what he means but he hires him. When a terrible storm comes in the night, the farmer learns the value of this unusual skill.
Get your own copy of my book I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows today!
I was introduced to the story as a young girl when my grandpa told it to me one day while we were feeding our chickens. My grandpa used the story to teach me about the value of hard work and being prepared. He used the story to teach me more specific lessons as I grew up. As I began raising my own family, I used the story to teach my children. I wanted to buy a book with the story I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows so I could read it to my children and share it with my extended family. I was shocked to find out that it had never been published as a children’s book before, so I wrote down the story my grandfather told me and started to create my book.
This generation needs this story more than ever. We have literal storms, hurricanes, floods, and fires. There are also political fire storms, bullies, and illegal drugs. Our kids need to feel safe to sleep while the storms rage. Hard work and preparation may not save us from all of the difficult things that come our way, but there are things we can do now to keep us safe later. This story is a good way to open that discussion with our kids.
My grandpa used this story to help us see the benefit of always doing the right thing and being prepared. Now that I am a mother, I use this to teach my children. This story has so many applications, but a few of my favorites are these.
Some examples of applications of the story “I can sleep when the wind blows”:
- If you always keep your room clean, you don’t have to rush around and clean your room if one of your friends wants to come over.
- If you are driving and you see a police officer, you don’t have to worry or hurry and make sure you are following all of the rules so you don’t get a ticket if you always follow all of the traffic laws and drive the speed limit.
- We can be prepared to leave our home in an emergency because we have 72 hours kits for all of our family members.
- If our kids take turns cooking, doing laundry, etc they won’t have to try to hurry and learn those skills when they go off to college.
- If we have money saved for an emergency, then we don’t have to worry when the car breaks down.
- If we stay close to our Father in Heaven by praying, reading scriptures, and following his commandments, we can have peace in tempestuous times.
The story I Can Sleep When The Wind Blows has endless applications to use in parenting. Life can be so stressful and I want my kids to be happy. The more prepared they are and the more they are in good habits, the less they will have to worry. I want my kids to be able to sleep when the wind blows.
Do you know this story? Have you used it to teach your kids? I would love to hear your applications.