I have been busy this week trying to get ready for Thanksgiving and enjoying having my kids home from school. Throughout the week, I have been struck how easy it is to make someone happy. I am amazed about how little things mean alot to so many people.
I have had a friend tell me I looked nice on a day that I didn’t feel pretty. I know she didn’t think it was a big deal but it really made my day. It made such a difference that I made a point to tell the cashier at the store how much I appreciated her and it almost broke my heart how much that meant to her. Why don’t I do that everytime? It is such a simple thing to do.
Her reaction got me thinking. Little things mean a lot and they are so easy to do. This is supposed to be a happy time of year. This is supposed to be a time when we are full of more love for the people around us. But it seems like too many of us are so busy trying to make people happy with gifts and a big meal that we forget to be kind to the people we see along the way.
So I am committing to do these little things: to do something kind for someone I everyday, to be more patient and appreciative of the people around me. I don’t think it is enough just not to say unkind things, we need to say kind courteous things to the people we see. Good old fashioned thank you and please are always welcome. The cashiers are very busy and deal with a lot of grumpy customers. A sincere thank you means a lot to them and is so easy to give.
For the next 30 days I am committed to do these things;
- I will smile at the cashiers I see and thank them for their help.
- I will allow the other person to have the parking spot.
- I will be a courteous driver and I will not be angry if another driver is not courteous.
- I will make spending time with my family a bigger priority than spending time finding the right present.
- I will give money to the homeless people I see and I will talk with them if they want to talk.
- I will give each of my kids and my husband at least one sincere compliment every day.
These are little things I should do every day but for some reason I feel so rushed and stressed during this time of year that taking time to be kind and give other people the benefit of the doubt takes a back seat. That is so backwards! I am posting this to hold myself accountable. Who wants to join me?