It’s springtime so we are having fun with dandelions! Many people (including my husband) see dandelions as annoying weeds, but they have so many uses. They are good for our friends the bees and they are fun for kids!
I loved playing with the bright yellow blossoms when I was a child and I love playing with them with my children. Having fun with dandelions reminds me of my own childhood.
5 Ways to Have Fun With Dandelions:
- Making wishes – There is something magical about making wishes on dandelions and blowing on them to watch them fly away.
- Dandelions bouquets – Dandelions are pretty and easy to pick so they make the perfect flowers for children to give their moms or other adults. Happily, these flowers grow so rapidly that no one minds when little hands pick them.
- Painting with dandelions – Those pretty yellow blossoms are perfect for painting on sidewalks! They show up nicely but they wash right off. No need for messy sidewalk chalk when you have dandelions around!
- Coloring on faces and hands – The soft yellow color of dandelions makes a nice color on cheeks, noses, and hands. I’m not sure why this is so fun, but between the soft flower tickling your nose and the subtle color it leaves, my kids and I just love to color our faces and hands with the dandelions!
- Make curlicues – Whether you are 4 or 40 years old the magic of turning the dandelion stems into curly, springs of curlicues is always a fun way to spend a day! If you haven’t done this you should. You take off the bud and use the long milky stems. You use your fingernail to split the stems down the center longways and then pull off long strips of the stem. Then you put those strips into ice water. In about 10 minutes they will all curl up into the curly, bouncy springs that you see above in the pink bowl! So much fun and almost like magic!
Those little dandelions are a fact of life for most of us during the spring and summer. Instead of being mad that those stubborn little yellow buds won’t go away, have some unplugged fun with your family and enjoy your dandelions like we do!