It’s Christmas time and a time for our Christmas traditions. Our family loves Christmas and we love to things together as a family. Most of our Christmas traditions are simple but those are the ones we all love the most.
I’d like to share some of our Christmas traditions with you:
- Putting up the Christmas tree – That is the thing that really starts our Christmas season in our family. We put on Christmas music and my husband always suggests having the game on in the background but gets overruled. At this point I think he just suggests that out of tradition :-)Our tree has changed a lot over the years. With 8 kids making homemade ornaments every year, we have a lot of ornaments. Most of the homemade ornaments have my kid’s pictures on them and we all love to look at how little they were as we put them on the tree.
- Exchanging names – After the tree is up, we put all of the names of the kids into a bowl and each of the kids draws a name. They are not allowed to tell who they got. They each give a gift to the brother or sister that they drew that they bought or made. (Come back tomorrow for the post on some of the most creative homemade gifts.)
- Looking at Christmas lights – We are just terrible about putting up Christmas lights outside. Every year we have good intentions but every year we just don’t. (I guess that has become a Christmas traditions too.) So we all pile into our van and drive around and look at the lights.
- Extended family Christmas party – We love love love our extended family and we are so blessed to have so many living so close to us. Every year my parents, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, uncles and aunts all get together to exchange gifts, sing carols, enjoy good treats, and just enjoy eachother’s company.With such a big family it is almost like a family reunion every year and we look forward to it all year long. Usually my sister hosts but this year her beautiful daughter is getting married just before Christmas so I am hosting. I hope I can make it half as fun and special as she always does.
- Reading the Nativity Story – On Christmas Eve, we always read the story of Christ’s birth from the New Testament and then we read some of our favorite Christmas stories like the Littlest Angel and The Littlest Christmas tree.
- Opening 2 presents on Christmas Eve – Right before the kids go to bed on Christmas Eve we let them open 2 presents: the gift from their brother or sister and the gift for one of their grandmas which has been new pajamas every year. The kids love to get the comfy new pj’s and it’s so sweet of her to do it every year!
- Christmas Morning – Finally on Christmas morning the kids all wait on the stairs until me and my husband are awake. What always happens is that one child wakes up and then wakes up everyone else. We made a rule a few years ago that they aren’t allowed to wake up until 6:00 am because it was getting really crazy.When I hear them wake up (I have a harder time sleeping at Christmas then they do and just wait for them to wake up) I come out and have them all sit on the stairs for pictures. Then they have to wait until dad wakes up which usually only takes about 10 minutes but it feels like forever. Then we let the kids go into the living room and open their presents. We don’t go crazy with presents. And my hubby and I help open boxes or add batteries and drink hot chocolate while they see what they got.
These are just a few of our Christmas traditions. We also always do service as a family which we love. (See my post on that here) We also get together with my parents and my husband’s parents on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There are always snowman built, ski trips, and LOTS of hot chocolate.
I would love to hear what your Christmas Traditions are.