Family Outings are a fun way to bond as a family but they can be expensive. As a mom of 8 kids, I know how expensive it can be to take your family out to the movies, out to eat, or other family activities. But if my family can save money on family outings yours can too! There are a lot of ways to save but here are my 5 best ways to family outings.
Secrets to Save On Family Outings:
- Dollar Movies – The dollar movie theaters are a great option to save money on going out to the movies. For a family of 10 like mine, we can spend $75 at the big theaters for one movie or you can spend $15 at the dollar movie. (We usually get snacks.) Most of the movies in the big theaters come to the dollar theaters.
- Use Amazon Local, Groupon, Living Social etc – You can often save 50% or more with certificates from Amazon Local, Groupon or Living Social. My family is on the way to the American Ninja Warrior course in our city. We saved $56 on the cost of admission for our family by getting a groupon deal. There are deals on everything from skating, eating out, local entertainment and much more. The deals change all the time so I try to check every few weeks to see what they have available.
- Eat before you go out – Just like you should never go shopping hungry, you should never go out with your family hungry. When you are hungry it is so much easier to buy expensive extra treats. Unless you are going out to eat, try to have a nutritious, filling meal before you go so that you can make better choices about how you spend your money while you are out.
- Get Family Memberships – If you go to any venue multiple times per year, annual memberships will save you money. With a family of 5 or more you usually spend more money paying to go 3 times than you would with an annual family pass. We always get annual passes to the zoo, the aquarium, and others. Once we have the memberships, I find that we go more often and at no extra cost. It is nice to feel like you can go to a family favorite spot whenever you want.
- Ask about group discounts – A lot of places have group discounts available. If you don’t have a big family like mine, you can go out with other families and get the group discount. My kids love to go places with our friends and the discounts make going out as a family much more affordable.
Those are just some of the things I do to save on family outings. I would love to hear some of your ideas for saving money on family nights out.
*Frugal Mom of 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.