Amazon shopping is wonderful! As a busy, frugal mom of 8 kids, I love how shopping on Amazon saves me time and money! I make a purchase on Amazon several days a week and I always feel good about the things I buy.
Amazon offers everything from hot tubs to toothpaste to toddler toys and everything in between. It is one stop shopping and I can do it all from my home. I always find amazing deals and I have even found several freebies using Amazon coupons.
I will be writing posts about how to get the most out of Amazon coupons, Prime Pantry, and Subscribe and Save. I use all of these often and get great deals. But for the purposes of this post I want to give some general advice on how to be a successful Amazon shopper.
7 Tips for Successful Amazon Shopping
- Do your research – To really maximize your Amazon shopping experience, it’s best to know what you want before you buy. Read up about the brand and the specific product. Whether it’s a car charger, or a lap top, the more you understand the product the better chance you will be happy with your product.
- For clothes and major purchases, try it before you buy it – I often hear people say they can’t buy clothes online. Believe me you can. I try on the clothes in the stores and then take advantage of the lower prices on Amazon to buy it. I know how certain clothing brands fit on my body so I can shop online successfully. For major purchases I look in stores to see first hand how they look and how they work, then I almost always get the exact same thing on Amazon for less.
- Amazon Prime free shipping! – Amazon Prime is an amazing value and it is an absolute must to get the most out of Amazon! To tell you all of the reasons I love Amazon Prime would take a whole post (and I will write that post) but for now let me say that if you do Amazon shopping more than once a month, it more than pays for it’s self just in free shipping.
The cost of Amazon Prime averages out to less than $9 per month and the free 2 day shipping includes major purchases like computers and dining tables. If all you got was the free 2 day shipping, it would really be worth it, but you also get free streaming video, free music with Amazon Prime Music , free books, free cloud photo storage, early access to lightning deals and more! If you aren’t an Amazon Prime member Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial and you will love it like I do!
- Look at ratings carefully – If a product has a 5 star review but only 1 person has reviewed it, that really may not tell you anything. The same is true of of a 1 star rating when only one or 2 people have rated. I tend not to give much stock to ratings unless there are atleast 5 reviewers and I like to see much more. Almost any product has one or 2 people that had a great and terrible experience with it.
- Read the reviews – Most Amazon reviewers are pretty savvy and give very good reasons why they love or hate a product. However, sometimes the reason for the bad review is just ridiculous. I have read everything from “I meant to order chocolate but I accidentally ordered peanut butter and I’m allergic. 1 star” to “This dress is really pretty but I’m 200 lbs and the size small doesn’t fit me.” Neither of those have anything to do with the actual product or company.
Sometimes the reasons others hate a product make it perfect for you and sometimes the reasons other people like it make it wrong for you. As an example, we bought a motorcycle ride on toy for our little friend. The reviews were negative because the toy could not go more than 3 miles per hour. Our little friend has special needs so that made it ideal for him.
The reviews can also be fun to read just for comic relief! Some people are just hilarious. Check out the reviews on the 5 lb bag of Haribo Gummy Bears, this banana slicer, or this Canned Unicorn Meat if you want to enjoy some really funny reviews!
- If you don’t like it, return it – Amazon makes returns easy. If the item or the item quality wasn’t what you expected, or if it just isn’t what you want, Amazon allows free returns with most of their Amazon Prime eligible items.
- Call Amazon Customer Service if you aren’t happy – At Amazon they are serious about having happy, satisfied customers. If you had a bad experience, the last thing they want is to lose a customer. Contact customer service and give them a chance to make it right. I have only had a few times that I needed to call customer service but I have been so happy with the way they went out of their way to fix the problem.
If you are looking for the best prices on quality items, Amazon is the best place to shop. Following these 7 tips to successful Amazon shopping will help you get the most out of your shopping experience!
*Frugal Mom of 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.